Vice-Chair, Board of Directors
Vice-Chair, Board of Directors
Southeastern Ontario Academic Medical Organization (SEAMO)
The Southeastern Ontario Academic Medical Organization (SEAMO) is seeking an experienced Vice-Chair to guide the organization in the fulfilment of our mission through the shifting landscape of health care delivery in Ontario.
WHO WE ARE
SEAMO is a non-profit organization comprised of the Clinical Teachers’ Association of Queen’s University (CTAQ), the Kingston Health Sciences Centre (KHSC), Providence Care and Queen’s University. Its mission is to support the delivery of outstanding health care, foster excellence in research and education, and facilitate the transformation of academic medicine in Southeastern Ontario.
Established in 1994, SEAMO is based in Kingston, ON, and is responsible and accountable for the Alternate Funding Plan (AFP) agreement with the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and the Ontario Medical Association.
WHAT WE DO
SEAMO currently funds physicians in 14 departments practicing in 30 specialties. The core business of SEAMO and its partners is the education of future physicians, skills enhancement for practicing physicians, the provision of high-quality patient care within an academic environment and the improvement of future health services by furthering knowledge through research and scholarship.
SEAMO is guided by a 16-member Governing Committee that is led by an independent chair. A total of two standing committees and four sub-committees, as well as several advisory groups, aid the Governing Committee in the fulfilment of its duties.
The Governing Committee is representative of the members of SEAMO and represent SEAMO collectively in support of its mission. The Committee meets at least eight times per year to establish long-range policies to enable the delivery of clinical service, health education and research under the AFP agreement.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE BOARD VICE-CHAIR
- Chair meetings of the Nominations and Governance Development Committee
- Chair meetings of the Governing/Executive Committees in absence of the Chair
- Ensure the organization is governed effectively, diligently and in an ethical manner
- Exercise the powers and discharge the duties of the office honestly, in good faith and in the best interests of the organization
- Provide oversight and adherence to SEAMO’s strategic plan
- Ensure an efficient and effective use of the organization’s resources
- Exercise a high degree of confidentiality and not disclose, to another person or entity, or use for one’s own purpose, confidential information concerning the business or affairs of the organization
- Monitor and coordinate committee activities to ensure progress
- Assist in overseeing the board evaluation process
- Previous board experience and governance knowledge is essential, preferably in the non-profit or public sector
- Leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy or the non-profit sector
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to cultivate relationships, convening, facilitating and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Experience in strategic planning, financial management and government relations
- Integrity, credibility and diplomacy
- Experience in the health-care industry considered an asset
- Experience in the financial sector considered an asset
Applicants must be:
- 18 years of age or older
- A resident of Ontario
TIME COMMITMENT AND EXPECTATIONS
The successful candidate will attend, in person, at least twelve meetings per year, and must be willing to commit to a three-year term.
This role is compensated
To apply, please send a cover letter, expressing your interest in the position, along with a resume and other relevant documents, to the attention of Danielle Claus, Executive Director for SEAMO, at no later than October 31, 2018.